Plans to build 3,000 homes on the outskirts of Aylesbury should be thrown out, a council report has said.
In their report, planning officers said the Hampden Fields plan would have a severe impact on roads, blight the visual appearance of the area and fail to provide acceptable levels of affordable housing.
The Planning Inspectorate will make the final call after developers appealed for it to take the decision out of Aylesbury Vale District Council’s hands, but the council must still decide whether it would have backed the project.
Council planning committee members will meet on April 10 to discuss and vote on the proposed development between Bedgrove and Weston Turville. Their decision will be influential when the inspectorate looks at the plan.
A spokesman for the developers said they were disappointed but not surprised by the recommendation.
Phil Yerby, Hampden Fields Action Group chairman, said: “This report is damning for the developers and confirms what we have always said, it is a seriously flawed proposal.
“This scheme is neither sensible nor sustainable. It is more developer greed than housing need.”
The council’s report said the proposal is not in line with its Vale of Aylesbury Plan, which proposes building 6,000 new homes by 2031. A six-week consultation will soon begin asking residents whether they support the plan or think it is flawed.
Last week the Government said another major planning application, to build 1,560 homes east of Watermead, should be decided on by the council following a request for it to make the decision.
Hallam Land asked the inspectorate to make the decision so its application could be viewed alongside appeals to build 2,750 homes in Fleet Marston and the Hampden Fields plan. However, the Secretary of State, Eric Pickles MP, has said it would be inappropriate for them to look at the plan until it has been considered by the council’s planning committee.