Storming to victory

Chinnor versus Newton Abbot.ics courtesy of Chinnor Rugby Club
Chinnor versus Newton Abbot.ics courtesy of Chinnor Rugby Club

CHINNOR maintained their unbeaten record so far this season beating fourth-placed Newton Abbot 33-5 at home.

Chinnor got off the blocks quickly, scoring a try in the second minute from a stolen lineout. Frank Jones set the Chinnor backs flying and Colver burst through to score.

Chinnor versus Newton Abbot

Chinnor versus Newton Abbot

James Cathcart converted to give Chinnor a 7-0 lead.

Straight from the restart, Newton Abbot attacked the Chinnor defence and smashed through for a try to the visitors from Devon to make the score 7-5 with barely five minutes played.

For the following 10 minutes all the play was in the Chinnor half with the visitors testing the home defence to the full.

Chinnor emerged unscathed but Matt Goode was sin-binned for swearing after a missed opportunity.

In the 28th minute another steal from the lineout saw the ball whipped across the Chinnor back line for Ken Prinsloo to cross the line and increase Chinnor’s lead to 12-5.

Moments later a Chinnor try went begging as Pip Seymour’s drive created an overlap for the home side. However, the referee saw a forward pass and all the good work was undone.

On the 35th minute, a midfield passing move from the visitors broke down and Cathcart scooped up the ball and gently cantered to the line for Chinnor’s third try. He then converted successfully to make the score 19-5.

With just three minutes of the half remaining, Chinnor scored again when a cross-field kick towards touch from Newton Abbot was skilfully fielded by Prinsloo who immediately set Colver running. He fed Liam Gilbert who sliced through the home defence and committed the full back before releasing Seymour for a simple dash to the line. Cathcart’s conversion gave Chinnor a half-time lead of 26-5. The second-half was a more muted affair with both sets of forwards working hard to cancel each other out. Chinnor began with 10 minutes of sustained pressure on the Newton Abbot defence but it was not until the 68th minute that the blind side from a scrum was well worked by the Chinnor backs with rapid passing allowing the speedy Seymour to score in the corner. Cathcart’s kick increased the lead to 33-5 where it remained until the final whistle.