‘Let’s move on’ says Aylesbury chairman after second hammering to title hopefuls denies his side a third straight Bucks Shield

Dean Gray
Dean Gray
Share this article

Aylesbury chairman Dean Gray conceded it was ‘always going to be difficult’ for his side as they suffered another hammering at the hands of Buckingham to lose the Bucks Shield on Saturday.

Ays’ great wins in earlier rounds against higher placed clubs counted for little against a good Buckingham outfit who beat them 65-7 in the league last month.

The comprehensive defeat meant the Magenta and Blacks were forced to hand over the Bucks Shield which they had won for the last two years.

And Gray admitted Buckingham were simply too good for his side.

“We came up against a team that were very well organised and are sure to be pushing on in the league and possibly the cup,” Gray said.

“Having lost heavily in the league it was never going to be easy going to their place.

“We will regroup at training this week and hopefully get a win at Olney at the weekend.”

The game started with Ays kicking off and looking good early on. But this was soon undone as a series of penalties for offside surrendered territory.

Hooker Matt Birch had to be replaced after suffering a nasty ankle injury which held the game up for several minutes.

After that Aylesbury lost their rhythm and two quick tries for Buckingham put them on the back foot.

The Ducks pack was performing well but had little to show for their fine display as the Buckingham defence stood firm. Just as Dave Larham’s men were settling into a more even contest, they gave away a try and an offside penalty to allow Buckingham to stretch their lead to 20-0.

A poor Aylesbury pass while attacking was intercepted by the fastest player on the pitch to make it 25-0 at half-time. Stern words from Larham at the break saw Ay’s pose Buckingham some questions in the second half.

Matt Webster was harshly sin binned for retaliation and the opponents took full advantage to increase the score to 30-0 before tired tackling allowed three more late one (49-0).

Ay’s travel to Olney in the league on Saturday.