Ducks home in on play-off place with win over rivals Wycombe

Aylesbury's try scorer Rob Taylor fights his way through the High Wycombe defence     PHOTO: MARK BANNISTER
Aylesbury's try scorer Rob Taylor fights his way through the High Wycombe defence PHOTO: MARK BANNISTER

Aylesbury moved just two points off a Southern Counties North play-off place after beating local rivals High Wycombe 19-14.

Earlier in the season Ay’s had a convincing win over Wycombe at Ostler’s Field but since then Wycombe’s form in the league has been steadily improving and they now sit only 2 places below 3rd place Aylesbury.

In stark contrast to recent fixtures this game kicked off in bright sunshine with only a gentle breeze blowing across the pitch at Kingsmead.

Ay’s took the early lead through a try from winger Andy Blacklock with James Woodfall adding the conversion (0-7).

However Wycombe were able to narrow the gap after Ay’s gave away two kickable penalties in their own half.

Ay’s extended their 6-7 lead when Andy Blacklock made a strong run from inside his own half and although this time he was tackled before reaching the try line great support from Liam D’Almeida allowed Ay’s to keep hold of the ball and it was flanker Rob Taylor who then forced his way through the Wycombe defence to score Ay’s second try. Once again James Woodfall slotted the conversion. (6-14).

With the last play of the first half Wycombe responded with an unconverted try to bring the score to 11-14 going into the break.

Not long into the second half Ay’s captain Adam Moore was penalised at the break down in front of the Aylesbury posts. While Moore was sent from the pitch to spend the next ten minutes in the sin bin, Wycombe kicked the easy penalty to level the score at 14 - 14.

With the game now looking like it could go either way, James Woodfall broke through the Wycombe defence and squeezed in at the corner to just get the ball down before being bundled into touch. His conversion attempt was just wide (14-19)

Ay’s managed to hold onto their 14-19 lead for the final 10 minutes to secure the win and stay in touch with second place Thatcham in the battle for the promotion play off spot.