Aylesbury looking gr8 for title tilt after another win

Fly half Jonny Burgess is stopped by two Bassett players    PHOTO: MARK BANNISTER
Fly half Jonny Burgess is stopped by two Bassett players PHOTO: MARK BANNISTER

Aylesbury Rugby Club are looking good for a Southern Counties North title challenge after their eighth straight win, 22-10 at Royal Wootton Bassett.

This win keeps Ay’s in second place in the league behind the leaders Bletchey, who like Aylesbury, have also recorded eight wins from nine this season, although their one defeat was at Ostler’s Field.

It was a long trip for Ay’s at the weekend as they travelled to Wiltshire to play Royal Wootton Bassett.

Wootton Bassett kicked off the game in bright sunshine, unfortunately for Ay’s the sun was in their eyes and the ball was not caught cleanly and knocked on.

Ay’s were then put under intense pressure in their own half and found themselves having to defend their own line for the next ten minutes.

Finally they forced Bassett to knock on and from the resulting scrum Ay’s forward dominance really started to show as they pushed the Bassett scrum back a full 30 metres almost to the halfway line.

The first score of the game was to come following a superb run from Ay’s winger Liam D’Almeida who offloaded to the supporting runner Matt Birch who touched down under the posts. James Woodfall added the conversion to give Ay’s a 7 point lead.

Bassett were able to respond almost immediately as Ay’s conceded a penalty close to their own posts. The Bassett kicker sent the ball between the posts for the 3 points. (3-7)

Ay’s were able to extend their lead to 3-10 courtesy of a penalty kick from the reliable boot of James Woodfall, but it was Bassett who had the final say in the first half as they added a converted try to their score.

So the two sides went into the break all square at 10-10.

Despite being reduced to 14 men for 10 minutes early on in the second half, after Gary Horne was sent to the sin bin, Ay’s still managed to add another try during this period.

James Woodfall making the break from halfway and then shipping the ball to D’Almeida who scored out wide. Woodfall was just wide with the conversion this time but Ay’s had the lead at 10-15.

The final score of the game came off a strong run from centre Mike Durose who was stopped just short of the line but managed to pass the ball out of the tackle to the supporting Bartley Walsh who then dived over the line. Woodfall made no mistake with his touch line conversion to give Ay’s the 10-22 victory and their eighth consecutive win.