United run comes to a Thame end

Mark West's side lost their unbeaten nine-game run on Tuesday
Mark West's side lost their unbeaten nine-game run on Tuesday

THAME United’s remarkable run came to an end as they were unfortunate to crash to a 3-1 away defeat at Ardley United on Tuesday.

Thame had been unbeaten in nine games before this defeat at the hands of the league leaders who have not lost in 14 games themselves.

The visitors were without some first team regulars due to a mixture of illness, injury, and suspension but they put up a good fight and can feel a little hard done by not to come away with something.

During the first-half, Ardley had the better of possession but their chances were few and far between.

On the half-hour mark Ardley were awarded a penalty when a home striker was fouled in the box but fortunately for the visitors he was unable to hit the target from the spot.

With only a few minutes until the break Thame’s defence was finally breached as the man who missed the penalty made amends when he finished in the bottom corner with a neat strike.

The home side increased their lead two minutes after the restart when Thame failed to clear a cross gifting a tap-in at the far post.

Thame manager Mark West reshuffled his players and moved Luke Ricketts, who had started as left back, to left wing and Thame started to come back into it.

Ardley were on the back foot as the visitors pressed and Thame scored in the 55th minute when an in-swinging Ricketts corner somehow found its way in at the back post.

Thame continued to threaten with Alex Stewart and Connor Hayes both going close but, with five minutes to play, Ardley scored a third as the visitors pushed for an equaliser.

West said: “It was one of those games when we played okay but we conceded three silly goals.

“They’re a good side and it’s no disgrace losing to them.

“We got it back to 2-1 and for a little while we were the better side.”

Thame face Flackwell Heath away on Saturday and then entertain Holyport at home on Monday.