Thame suffer first home loss of the season

The West Sussex Football League is now in full flow
The West Sussex Football League is now in full flow

Thame United suffered their first home defeat of the season on Tuesday evening when they were defeated 2-1 by Shrivenham.

Going into the game Thame sat in 5th place in the league table while Shrivenham were 15th.

On form, Thame were expected to win but although they had more possession, and much of the game was played in the visitors half, United were unable to penetrate the well organised Shrivenham defence, even after they went down to 10 men.

Both goalkeepers were in action in the first 5 minutes, Lee Farrow making a good save for the hosts from a direct free kick while the visiting keeper was also forced into action to stop a strong Nik Rhodes header.

Moments later, Thame’s Ellis Hercules met a corner with a goal bound header, however it was cleared off the line by a defender.

Thame were controlling much of the play, but Shrivenham looked dangerous on the break.

The visitors went ahead from the penalty spot in the 34th minute after Rhodes was judged to have committed a foul in the area.

It was an incident which surprised both the spectators and players, as it appeared a fair tackle.

Visiting captain Matty Bown took the penalty well, giving Farrow no chance.

Shrivenham then increased their lead a minute before the break when Richard Miles volleyed in a cross from the left.

Just before the half time whistle blew Taylor Collins forced a good save from the visiting keeper as the hosts continued to press for a way back into the match.

The game then became increasingly bad tempered in the second half.

Thame’s goal came in the 58th minute when Niall Hodgkins headed home a Collins free kick from close range. Shrivenham went down to 10 men with about 25 minutes remaining when Dave Coleman received a straight red for a bad tackle.

United fought hard for an equaliser but they were rarely able to get behind the visitors defence and put crosses into the box.

In the final minute goalkeeper Farrow left his goal to join his colleagues uopfield for a corner but when the ball fell to him, his shot was high.

Thame United: Farrow, Willett, P Pykett (I Pykett) Hercules, Rhodes, Jewell (Cordice), Connelly, Lynch, Hodgkins, Collins, Goss.

United play at the ASM Stadium again next Saturday 7th September, when they face Carterton in the FA Vase.