Thame complete the double over Highworth

editorial image

Thame United completed the double over fifth-placed Highworth Town on Tuesday evening and, in so doing, consolidated their top six position in the Hellenic Premier Division.

With a number of players unavailable, stand-in manager Stuart Blaik was forced to alter the formation, moving to a back three and playing five in midfield.

United quickly settled into the new formation albeit, for the opening 20 minutes, neither side really threatened the opposition goal.

Gradually, the home side began to exert pressure and, after forcing a number of corners, first David Lynn and then Aiden Bailey did well to clear the ball off the line, before the referee turned away shouts from the home side for a penalty.

By this stage United were offering their own threat on the counterattack, although Sharkey in the Highworth goal was rarely threatened.

That all changed five minutes before the break when United were awarded a free-kick 25 yards from goal following a foul on Alex Kedzierski.

Dan West stepped-up and struck a powerful drive up and over the wall and into the top corner, giving Sharkey no chance.

Just before the break, Jamie Connor was injured following a heavy tackle, an injury that then forced changes to be made, with Lee Farrow coming in to goal and Steve Clarke moving to centre forward.

For the opening few minutes of the second half, United were in control with the best chance falling to Andy Gledill whose drive from the edge of box was pushed wide of the post by Sharkey.

However, and as with the first half, the hosts started to enjoy the majority of possession but were still unable to trouble Farrow.

And as it was United extended their lead with 20 minutes to go when Dave Lynn picked up the ball on the wide left, cut inside on to his right foot, and sent the ball across Sharkey and in to the far corner.

Highworth then made a number of changes, but United were solid defensively and any attacking threat was snuffed out without Farrow ever being troubled.

The three points keeps United sixth in the table with a trip to leaders Thatcham Town on Saturday.