Stalemate! Moles held to draw by basement boys Ashford

Ben Stevens was the man of the match
Ben Stevens was the man of the match

Aylesbury FC came away from a drab Tuesday night in Stanwell with a well earned point after drawing 0-0 with a resolute Ashford site.

Ahead of the game, FC boss Steve Bateman had warned his players that Ashford posed a potential banana skin. But FC were confident having won 1-0 at Chalfont on Saturday in what was only their third match in two months.

Ashford are well adrift at the bottom of the Southern League but their performance somewhat belied their position.

Aylesbury named an unchanged team for what is probably the first time this season but it was Ashford that got away the quicker of the two sides and after 17 minutes had the First effort on target from Jack Beadle but his strike flew straight at James Weatherill.

Tom Brunton was looking lively down the left for Ashford, and had a couple of half chances blocked as FC struggled to get into the game. Aylesbury’s first real chance came 5 minutes before the break when Bradley Wadkins fired over and then just before the break Gareth Price should have opened the scoring when good advantage played by the ref left Price breaking through the Ashford defence but he was denied by home keeper Tobin.

In the second half, Ashford again started the quicker of the two sides and straight from the kick off Conor Moody nicked the ball but his shot was struck straight at Weatherill who saved comfortably. Ollie Burgess then had a chance firing just off target from the edge of the box after a quick move involving a couple of players. On 60 minutes Gareth Price had another good chance when a good run across the edge of the box, finished with a left foot shot was again saved by Tobin. Ashford nearly nicked all three points when after 80 minutes Dan Hughes chested down the ball and shot on the again Weatherill was well placed.

The game petered out to it’s inevitable close and although against the bottom side some might say it was two points lost, Aylesbury came away undefeated and with another point bagged as they try and get some consistent playing time.

It was FC’s fourth point from two games, and manager Bateman said he is relieved his side have got some minutes on the pitch after a winter of discontent and points on the board to match.

He said: “It has been a while coming and I am very glad.

“Ashford was very much a banana skin game as I said beforehand. After the Chalfont win I was talking to their manager afterwards and he described it as a 1-0 thrashing.

“We created plenty of chances and despite a couple of things going against us we managed to get the win.”

But Bateman was particularly critical of the red card handed to Price in that Chalfont game for what the referee felt was a raised elbow.

He said: “The red card was very harsh.

“Their player should be embarrassed about the incident.

“He was a big 6ft 4in lad and he went down like a sack of potatoes.

“I said to him in the tunnel afterwards that if he spent more time on his feet and less on the floor he would be a better player.”