Sportsmanship is not dead! Ducks through to semis as opponents ask FA to let Trophy result stand and defender tells of his leg break ordeal

Lee Bircham in action
Lee Bircham in action

Aylesbury United are through to the semi-finals of the Berks and Bucks Senior Trophy after the local FA ruled the club’s abandoned game against Shirvenham will not be replayed.

It means no fresh fixture headaches for Ducks boss Tony Joyce after last Wednesday’s dramatic events at Bell Close, where the score was 4-0 in United’s favour when the match was stopped after defender Lee Bircham suffered a double leg break..

And the Ducks’ opponents have shown that sportsmanship is not dead after honourably requesting that the result be allowed to stand.

That request was granted following an emergency meeting of the Cup Committee.

Meanwhile, Bircham has told of his horror at the moment he realised he had broken his leg.

He said: “It was a very traumatic night really.

“I can’t believe how long I was on the ground for before the ambulance got there, must have not been too shy of half an hour with no pain killers!

“It was very, very painful and I was struggling at times to act the big tough man.”

After having morphine administered to help ease the excruciating pain, Bircham finally arrived at Luton Hospital at around 10.15pm and had to wait nearly three hours to be seen.

“The X-ray showed what I knew, as I saw my leg with my own eyes, that it was a double break,” Bircham said.

“From the faces the staff were pulling I knew it was bad!

“Then with gas and air they put it in a temporary plaster cast until they were ready to operate.

“It was a six-hour op, which has involved putting in a rod through the knee and supporting the double break from there. I was in resting room for a couple of hours as they were concerned with the pain I was in even though I was still away with the fairies.”

Despite the traumatic ordeal, Bircham insists he is keeping his spirits up.

“I’m staying positive as I always do and just keeping my fingers crossed.

“I even had a message from Djibril Cisse (who plays at for Queens Park Rangers, where Bircham’s brother Marc is a legend and current reserve team boss).

“I just want to say a massive thank you to everyone.

“I’m really humbled by it to be honest and its given me a couple of lump in the throat moments,” he added.

United have moved to bolster their defensive options in the wake of Bircham’s injury with the signing of Shane Wood, brother of club captain Jack.

Wood has made 22 appearances for Spartan South Midlands leaders Dunstable Town this season, having rejoined for a third spell last season from Tring Athletic.