Red mist! Ducks lose five-goal thriller after having man sent off ... for the SEVENTH time this season

Tony Joyce watched his side lose 3-2 with 10 men at Marlow
Tony Joyce watched his side lose 3-2 with 10 men at Marlow

Aylesbury United’s ill-discipline reared its head again on Saturday as the 10-man Ducks lost a Bucks derby at Marlow 3-2 at the weekend.

Following an outstanding performance at top of the table Rugby in midweek where they drew 1-1 after taking the lead, it was no surprise that manager Tony Joyce fielded an unchanged starting XI for this afternoon’s match at Oak Tree Road.

Ahead of the short trip to their Bucks rivals, Joyce had warned his side to be ready for a ‘tough physical challenge’.

And how right he was as Marlow got stuck into the visitors from the outset. In truth Aylesbury failed to deal with Marlow’s approach and after watching Stacey Field spurn a gilt-edged chance, the hosts took a 1-0 lead through Michael Bartley.

It was 2-0 before the break when Richie Whittingham found the top corner of Jack Sillitoe’s goal with a free-kick from 25 yards out. Tensions flared shortly after, with home centre forward Bartley lucky to escape with a yellow card after elbowing Jack Wood during an aerial challenge, after which the Ducks skipper required a lengthy period of attention before he could continue.

Joyce introduced Zack Reynolds for the second half and despite his energy helping United start much brighter than their opponents, it was Marlow who extended their lead to 3-0 just before the hour – Whittingham with a second.

The physicality of the hosts made for a fiery match, which was reflected in the card count which was up to six yellows midway through the second half.

A red was inevitable and it came when Marlow keeper Simon Grant who was sent for an early bath after taking out Jason Blackett as he pushed the ball past him. Just one minute after the keeper saw red, Steve Hatch scored his third of the season to give Joyce’s side some hope, easily beating the stand-in keeper from the edge of the box.

A second goal followed in the first minute of added on time, from skipper Jack Wood, but despite having opportunities to equalise in the eight minutes added on by the referee, it was not to be.

The final disappointment was seeing the Ducks add to their poor disciplinary record this season when sub Reynolds was shown a red card for foul and abusive language.

United finally entertain in-form Daventry on Wednesday night, a match that has been postponed no less than four times so far this season.