RED INSURE CUP: Moles much improved as they bow out to Dunstable

Jerome Federico
Jerome Federico

Aylesbury FC put in a much improved performance but slipped out of the Red Insure Cup with a 1-0 defeat to Dunstable on Tuesday night.

While the rest of England tuned in to watch England’s crucial victory over Poland, a small band of intrepid non league supporters turned up at Creasey Park to watch a cup game that neither side really wanted to win, due to potential Tuesday away fixtures in far flung areas of the south of England, reports the club’s official website.

FC used the opportunity to change things around and the already absent Max Farrelly was joined by Kwasi Frempong (Face Injury), Sonny French (work) and George House (Knee). Jack Thomson returned from Injury and Jamie Rudd was also given an opportunity in the midfield.

The two teams had already met earlier in the season with Dunstable giving FC a footballing lesson with a 4-0 drubbing at Haywood Way but with FC improved performances since then a repeat never seemed likely.

Dunstable started well and dominated the first ten to fifteen minutes, with early shots from Damen Pickering & Fontanelle giving Rhys Marshall early action. FC always looked dangerous on the break especially on the right where Jerome Federico was at his turbo best taking on the Dunstable left back at every opportunity, beating him with ease and getting in a number of crosses, none of which were met by an Aylesbury forward. Dunstable though had the better of the chances and Fontanelle bought out another fibne save from Rhs Marshall as the half progressed.

FC’s best move came again through Federico who again took on the left back, waltzed passed him and smashed a shot from the angle of the box that thundered against the cross bar.

The only goal of the game came just before the half when a free kick on the edge of the box was despatched around the wall and away from the despairing dive of Marshall by Hutchins.

The strangest incident happened bang on half time when Jerome Federico, still terrorising the Dunstable defence cut inside Chris Marsh who upended him in the box. The No 11 stood there waiting for his booking and the resulting penalty when the referee walked up to the prone Federico and waved the yellow card at him!

The second half was a less interesting affair with Dunstable and Aylesbury using all their available subs and neither side really appearing to be that motivated. The football was a lot messier. Dunstable had their chances but so did the Moles without ever really creating an equalising opportunity. Twice Rhys Marshall was caught in no mans land outside the penalty area but on neither occasion could Dunstable make him pay although Marshall made up for this with an excellent penalty save just before the end.

The game fizzled out but it was a much improved Aylesbury performance.