Narrow pre-season defeats for FC and Ducks

Aylesbury FC and United have been in action
Aylesbury FC and United have been in action

Aylesbury FC and Aylesbury United were both beaten 1-0 in their pre-season friendlies this weekend.

FC slipped to a narrow defeat in what was their second run out since resuming training, at home to Oxford City.

City enjoyed the best of the possession in the first half and took the lead on the 19 minute mark when Geoff Mitchell cut in from the right, fooled Ben Stevens into a tackle and then slipped the ball underneath the advancing Richard Roberts, writes Jools Thomas.

In reply FC had a wonderful chance to pull a goal back just before half-time. A mazy run and cross from new signing Jerome Federico found Leon Osei whose chipped shot cleared the keeper only for it to bounce back off the post.

The second half saw wholesale changes as is the norm in these games. Jonathon Constant and Jack Thompson were returning players looking to play their way into Craig Faulconbridge’s thoughts for the new season and both showed signs of what they are capable of.

No goals followed in the remainder of the game and although the majority of the action again occurred in FC’s half, a 1-0 defeat was by no means a disgrace against a well drilled Conference North side.

Meanwhile, on their travels Aylesbury United kicked off their pre-season campaign with a 1-0 defeat at AFC Kempston Rovers.

But had it not been for an inspired display from the Kempston keeper, the Ducks could and should have at least drawn the match.

A penalty miss and injury to star striker Stacey Field made it something of a miserable return to action for Tony Joyce and his men after the euphoria of last season’s promotion and cup winning climax.

The Ducks included new signings Richard Armstrong and Dom Petrucci in their squad, while Lewis Hallford and Justin Gordon returned. But it was an ex-Duck on show for the hosts who scored the decisive goal – Manny Richardson hitting a speculative 40-yard effort that Jack Sillitoe allowed to squirm under his body and into the net.

Field saw a penalty saved midway through the first half, but United saw plenty of other chances come and go with Ben Baines twice hitting the woodwork – the second a superb overhead kick.

The usual glut of subs and stoppages throughout the second period disrupted the flow of the match but it was United who ended on top, albeit without a goal to show for their probing.