Moles dig deep to halt run of defeats

editorial image
Share this article

Aylesbury FC finally put an unwanted run of defeats behind them as they gained a point from a 1-1 draw against an in-form North Greenford United at the Affinity Investments Stadium on Tuesday night.

North Greenford did have the better chances but a point for each team was arguably a fair result, writes Jools Thomas.

FC made the early running and Lamar Simpson was unlucky not to connect cleanly after being put through by Sonny French. Brian Haule had a chance not long afterwards but his header went just over the bar. Davis Haule had the next chance but his shot was blocked almost on the line before spinning away for a corner. Shiblu Miah had another chance as FC performed better than of late.

North Greenford replied when David Taylor’s shot caused panic before going out for a corner.

Midway through the first half, North Greenford were awarded a penalty. It seemed there had been a push on Liam Hind as he rose to challenge for the ball. Hind himself dispatched the penalty despite a desperate dive by FC keeper Richard Roberts.

Aaron Silcott was unlucky on the half hour when challenging at the far post and at the other end Lamar Simpson had another opportunity but was robbed at the last second. The Simpson chance was a rare chance as North Greenford dominated play with several chances created and corners won. Sonny French broke this spell with the move of the game to claim the equaliser. He drifted across the penalty area and when in range let fire with a wonderful strike that nestled in the bottom corner of the net much to the delight of the FC support.

North Greenford were the first to make an impression on the 2nd half with David Taylor again finding space. Aaron Silcott was then put through and when clear on goal, contrived to slice the ball and it sailed harmlessly away. On 62 minutes only a deflection denied Anthony O’Connor giving his side the lead once more.

Liam Hind was the next to try his luck from range with Roberts saving after readjusting his stance.

The visitors’ spell of pressure was broken when they were reduced to ten men. Liam Hind directed a kick towards Lamar Simpson who was shielding the ball on the ground. Whether the kick hit the ball or Lamar himself was irrelevant according to the referee who sent the North Greenford man off the field for violent conduct.

From the resultant free kick, Luke Abraham was unlucky as his effort was tipped round the post by Andy Caesar. Brian Haule was next to try his luck with a run and shot which just cleared the post. The reliable centre half pairing of Ronayne Marsh Brown and Kevin Ayodele had looked relatively confident in the second period but an Aaron Silcott shot just two minutes from time almost resulted in the winner. As he met the ball with a half volley, FC hearts were in mouths. Aaron’s shot however just cleared the post leaving both teams to share the points.