Magic number eight eludes Aylesbury as United crash out of FA Vase

Stacey Field was only half fit for the game
Stacey Field was only half fit for the game

Aylesbury’s poor record in the FA Vase continued as they were dumped out at home to Kidlington, bringing an abrupt end to their seven game winning streak.

With John Mulholland (suspended), Greg Williams and Stacey Field (injured), Ben Hammond (cup tied) and Zac Reynolds all unavailable, it was a depleted Ducks squad meaning a first start in two-years for 41-year old manager Tony Joyce.

And with Tom Barnett, Michal Korpala and Matt Timberlake on the bench in name only, it meant Field nursing his bruised ribs injury as United’s only recognised substitute.

ylesbury battled well and had much of the play in the first half, only to find themselves trailing at the interval to Jack Dunmore’s goal and an early second half goal had the match decided.

After 13 minutes Aylesbury’s first meaningful attempt was created by Louis Austin who managed to engineer himself a shooting opportunity, the ball coming back off goalkeeper Matt Dixon where Joey Acheampong skewed the rebound well wide.

The visitors edged ahead after twenty minutes, with an excellent strike although there was an element of good fortune in the goal. A wasted corner by the Ducks was quickly countered by Kidlington. Jack Wood made a fine sliding challenge to deny Curtin, but the ball fell kindly for Jack Dunmore to loft the ball over defenders and stranded Jack Sillitoe into the net.

Half chances before the break fell the way of Field, whose effort was blocked, and a quickly taken corner kick by Acheampong came to nothing as Kidlington lead the way with the interval arriving.

The second period started with the away side making their intentions known early on as they cut through Aylesbury with worrying ease, the ball eventually played inside to Curtin who fired over the stand from close range.

Just before the hour mark the lead was doubled – and again luck was not on Aylesbury’s side. A free-kick was swung in and headed goalwards, where Sillitoe’s attempted punch struck Curtin and flew into the net.

Almost immediately United looked to respond as Austin headed Joyce’s corner kick straight at the keeper but Sillitoe remained the busiest keeper as he saved with his legs again to deny Curtin’s volley from Parker’s lofted ball.

In reality, the early second goal had put the game beyond Aylesbury, but they refused to give up and actually haD their best spell of the match in the last fifteen minutes, going close on a number of occasions.

Austin’s ball into the box was met by Field who could only head straight at the keeper, before the substitute shot straight at the keeper’s legs from 3-yards out.

Acheampong hammered a volley wide of the target having been played in over the top, before Field’s effort cruelly rebounded back off the upright as Aylesbury began to sense it wasn’t to be their day.

The match ended on a sour note as manager Joyce received his marching orders for a second bookable offence.