Goss debut goal not enough to stop the FC rot

Aston Goss (pictured in action for one of his former club's Arlesey) scored on his FC debut
Aston Goss (pictured in action for one of his former club's Arlesey) scored on his FC debut

Aylesbury FC new boy Aston Goss netted on his debut but the Moles still slipped to their fifth straight defeat when they lost 3-1 at home to Chalfont St Peter.

FC welcomed several old boys, including the very popular Davis Haule, back to Haywood Way for this game against fellow strugglers Chalfont St Peter. An Aston Goss debut goal was cancelled out by an opportunistic CSP equaliser. This should have set up a competitive second half. Instead two quick fire attacks within the space of a few minutes gave the visitors all three points and left FC supporters wondering just when the team’s wretched run will come to an end.

The first real chance was from Jamie Rudd but his shot flew past the post. At the other end Tom Cutts’ interception from Scott Fitzgerald saw the Chalfont man’s shot spin over the bar. John Carroll missed with a floated free kick a few minutes later but as the game settled into a rhythm, it was FC with the energetic Aston Goss who were setting the pace. On 21 minutes he found space to deliver a cross shot but no team mate was alert to his intentions. Sonny French was the next man to try to break the deadlock. Firstly Chalfont keeper Michael Power-Simpson pushed his low effort round the post and a few minutes later Sonny’s powerful 35 yard strike just cleared the bar.

Chalfont hit back and after a melee in the box, Fitzgerald mis-hit with just the keeper to beat. Shortly afterwards FC took the lead. Aston Goss tricked in from the left hand side and after skipping into the box hit a low shot past the keeper’s right hand. Sonny French had a chance to extend FC’s lead a couple of minutes later. His acceleration took him past the keeper but with a difficult angle his shot clipped the outside of the post with defenders running to block. Again Sonny French had a chance as he stung Power-Simpson’s fingers with a low shot. His failure to convert these chances was put into perspective on 44 minutes when a corner was headed in, unchallenged, by John Carroll. Almost from the restart, Chalfont team mate Alan Hedley almost extended the lead and only a point blank Rhys Marshall prevented him doing so.

The second half was four minutes old when Jamie Rudd and Gareth Price linked up well to feed Goss whose shot just went over the bar. A sparkling link up between French and Price a few minutes later saw a dangerous cross delivered in however there were no FC men lurking to pounce. Shortly after, this Chalfont took the lead. A mazy dribble on the right by Terrell Lewis drew out FC keeper Rhys Marshall and the Chalfont man made no mistake slamming the ball into the goal. FC could have grabbed an equaliser a couple of minutes later but despite beating the keeper, Aston Goss found the angle too acute and his effort hit the side netting. FC were going all out to grab the leveller but as is too often the case, left themselves exposed at the back.

Another piece of right wing play found Scott Fitzgerald whose impressive turn and volley rifled past the despairing Rhys Marshall. Alex Paine and ex-Mole Romaine Walker had further presentable efforts as FC collapsed as a unit. The introduction of Kevin Mealor and Craig Faulconbridge steadied the ship a little but it was too little too late. As injury time approached, the sight of FC and Chalfont players bickering led to a brandishing of cards by the referee who luckily blew his whistle to signal an end to yet another depressing afternoon.

FC are 17th in the Southern League Division One Central with 12 points after 12 games.

The Moles are away to Marlow, who beat FC’s rivals Aylesbury United 1-0 on Saturday, tomorrow night (Tuesday).