Five star show gives Ducks another away win

Aylesbury United won 5-2 at Hayes while the Ducks' ladies side beat rivals Wycombe 3-1
Aylesbury United won 5-2 at Hayes while the Ducks' ladies side beat rivals Wycombe 3-1
Share this article

Aylesbury United recorded their fourth away win from six games on the road in all competitions when they beat Hayes 5-2 on Saturday.

Goals from Jason Blackett, Dom Petrucci and Richad Armstrong put the Ducks 3-0 up with just 15 minutes on the clock. Hayes got one back from a free-kick but Tony Joyce’s men reinstated their three-goal cushion when Daniel Jones scored a penalty.

The result was put firmly beyond doubt as Jack Wood scored early in the second half to make it 5-1 but Hayes, to their credit, never gave up and could have dragged themselves back into the match had it not been for a penalty miss, the width of a post and a guilt-edged chance which went begging.

They did pull another goal back with another free-kick from Mitchal Gough to make the final score 5-2.

The Ducks entertain Royston Town at Bell Close on Wednesday night before welcoming Skrill Conference South side Staines for a big FA Cup second qualifying round match on Saturday.

Meanwhile, the club’s ladies side have beaten rivals Wycombe 3-1 to go second in the Thames Valley League Division One.

After a disappointing result in the last game, the United’s ladies were keen to get their season back on track with a better performance and good result as they travelled to the early season pace setters Wycombe Wanderers.  

Looking at previous results it was likely to be a close game and that is how it turned out.  From the beginning Aylesbury set a good pace and pressed hard to stop Wycombe having the time to play.

Teenager Katie Squire, making her debut for Aylesbury, started quickly and came close with a lovely shot in the third minute and then came even closer in the seventh minute when she hit the cross bar with another great effort.  

Wycombe came forward at times but the United defence remained strong with any balls over the top being swept up by Beanie Cameron in the Aylesbury goal, who had another very good game.

Unfortunately, Hannah Elliot had to come off after just a quarter of an hour as she was feeling unwell but was replaced by Shannon MacLeod who was also making her debut for the first team.

After 20 minutes the early Aylesbury pressure paid off when a pass through by Kayleigh Forsythe was finished by Tara Woodward to make it 1-0 to the visitors.  The rest of the half was fairly even but Aylesbury made it 2-0 after 43 minutes when Forsythe got on to the scoresheet herself when she lobbed the keeper from distance.  

Wycombe came back into the game in the second half with the Ducks defence under much more pressure but they held strong although they did have to rely on the post after a lovely shot by the Wycombe striker.  

Having resisted the home onslaught United extended their lead further with Tara Woodward getting another goal, her fourth of the season before the home side pulled a goal back after 75 minutes.

Aylesbury had the game won by then though and the result sees them move level on points with the South Bucks side at the top of the fledgling table.