FC smashed 5-0 as Godalming run riot

Aylesbury FC V Ashford
Aylesbury FC V Ashford

Aylesbury FC suffered their heaviest defeat of the season as they were beaten 5-0 by promotion chasers Godalming Town on Thursday night.

The ground staff at the Affinity Investment Stadium deserve a real pat on the back and thank you from everyone for making the Haywoods Way pitch a decent surface for a game of football. It appears that the visitors in particular were grateful as they comprehensively disposed of the Moles without really having to break sweat, writes Jools Thomas.

The visitors, whilst not displaying the free flowing football of promotion contemporaries Rugby or Royston, certainly enjoyed the generosity of an FC defence that lacked shape and an FC attack that carried little threat.

Nine minutes in and the visitors’ Johnnie Dyer fired just wide in a start that saw most of the play in the FC half.

It was to be twenty minutes when FC had their first chance, a snapped half chance for new signing Ben Gallant which flew over the bar. Just five minutes later however George Short opened the scoring. He was given the freedom of the town to glance a header past FC’s Simeon Charles for a soft 1-0 lead.

FC could have grabbed an equaliser soon after when Luke Abraham delivered a right field cross shot that could have nipped under the bar were it not for the timely intervention of Town keeper Jake Somerville. It was the closest FC were to get to the away team’s goal in the half. Four minutes before half time, the away team caught Lamar Simpson dawdling on the half way line and a grateful Johnnie Dyer swept the ball home for 2-0. Darren Wheeler’s cross come shot flicked off the bar just before half time almost increasing the lead and underlining the difference between the sides.

Over the past few weeks, FC have looked a different team after the break clawing back many a half time deficit. This wasn’t the case tonight and if anything FC appeared even more lack lustre than during their 1st half performance. To underline this difference, on 54 minutes it was 3-0. An attack down the right hand side found Johnnie Dyer who poked the ball past the hapless Moles keeper. Dyer could have claimed his hat trick just a few minutes when his header was beaten away by FC’s Charles. Sonny French attempted a similar effort for Aylesbury but his glancing header went the wrong side of the post. Soon after, Jamie Connor was put through but collided with the keeper as he was looking to shoot and the chance came to nothing with Jamie receiving an injury for his troubles. FC’s attacking spell was soon over however when George Short struck a powerful 30 yard shot that Charles did well to hold. Ten minutes from time and Johnnie Dyer completed his hat trick with a spectacular turn and volley that rifled past Simeon Charles. Still the scoring had not finished. Yet another of the countless FC defensive mistakes occurred leaving George Short enough space to slide the ball home. Luke Abrahams and Lynton both went close to at least dragging some respectability from the game late on in an Indian summer of chances for FC.

These efforts came and went without denting the score line, leaving FC shell shocked and Godalming wondering just how easy an evening it had been for them.