FC’s search for three points continues

Aylesbury FC manager Craig Faulconbridge
Aylesbury FC manager Craig Faulconbridge

Aylesbury FC’s difficult start to the new Southern League Division 1 season continued as they lost 2-1 to Daventry Town.

Even at Haywood Way Daventry were always going to be a tough proposition but in a momentary lapse of concentration early on in the game, FC made their quest to claim their first points of the season an even harder task, writes Jools Thomas.

The game was only three minutes old and Jerome Federico unleashed a stunning right field drive which Daventry keeper Richard Morris did well to palm away to safety.

In reply Daventry also tried a superb strike of their own and were unlucky not to hit the target with Ross Oulton just clearing the bar with a spectacular volley. Just a few minutes later and the talking point of the evening occurred.

A speculative shot from Adam Confue was met by an attempted tip over the bar by FC’s Simeon Charles.

Instead the Aylesbury keeper palmed the ball into his own net. It was a disastrous moment as if time had stood still, with the surprised Confue almost embarrassed to be congratulated by team mates.

Jack Thomson was the next player to trouble the Daventry goal shooting wide on the half hour mark

The second half saw FC kicking towards their preferred covered end of the ground. A series of crosses from Price and the excellent Lamar Simpson were an attempt to put FC’s main strikers in but Daventry’s defence held firm.

It was during one of these rearguard actions that Daventry hit FC on the break and grabbed their second goal.

Ryan Howell was put through and after taking aim, slipped the ball underneath the advancing Charles.

Ben Stevens had enjoyed a very good game, marshalling his defence and making several last ditch tackles. He also contributed at the other end smacking in a volley in the 76th minute thanks to a Matty Hall free kick.

The game still had just under a quarter of an hour to run and although FC continued to apply pressure Daventry were rarely troubled and the visitors saw out the game to claim all three points for themselves.

FC host Egham Town on Saturday (kick-off 3pm).