FC picked apart by dominant Rugby

FC manager Craig Faulconbridge watches on
FC manager Craig Faulconbridge watches on

Aylesbury FC slipped to a second consecutive home loss as Rugby Town triumphed 2-0 on Tuesday night.

Anyone leaving the Affinity Investments Stadium could not fail to be impressed by Rugby Town, writes Jools Thomas. Their swift strikers created chance after chance in a mesmerising first half display and it was perhaps a blessing that the home team were able to keep the score down to a respectable level.

It remains to be seen if Rugby will be visiting Aylesbury next season but if their form continues in this vein for the rest of the season, then promotion is a very real possibility.

Five minutes in and Rugby’s Sam Youngs fired in a speculative shot which went just wide. Just a few minutes later and Rugby should have taken the lead with only a Kevin Ayodele block saving a certain goal. It was only to be a matter of time before the opener however.

FC failed to clear a corner and in the ensuing melee, Alex Gudger calmly stroked the ball home for the lead.

FC’s first shot in anger was on 12 minutes but Brian Haule’s long range effort went well wide.

Seb Lake Gaskin was finding lots of room on the right wing and his run into the box on 19 minutes could have produced a goal if he had managed to prevent the ball from clearing the ball.

David Kolodynski was next to enjoy the freedom of the park but he also skied the ball when more composure was required. The same player more than made up for this just after the half hour mark.

After FC were robbed just inside their half, he turned and smashed a spectacular half volley past FC’s Simeon Charles for 2-0.

Kolodynski was denied a few minutes later when Charles thwarted him with a brave save by his feet.

To round off the half, that man Kolodynski’s toe poke just cleared the post after a neat series of passes in the FC box.

Perhaps FC fans had witnessed the most impressive attacking display from a visiting team this season but things did improve slightly for the home team after the break. Leon Osei had a chance which flew over the bar in the first minute of the half.

Sam Youngs had another chance a minute or so later.

His shot hit Lamar Simpson and the ricochet was spinning into the top corner before a timely intervention from FC keeper Charles.

At least FC were restricting the visitors in chances with Kevin Ayodele in particular looking more aware in breaking down Rugby’s attacks.

Still chances were being created by Rugby and on the hour mark Lewis McBride fired in a long range effort which Charles did well to save.

Two chances in quick succession finished the game on a more positive note for FC. Firstly Leon Osei had a snap shot that the keeper help and then a chance occurred for Sonny French who fired in an effort after good work from substitutes Max Farrelly and James Faulkner.

FC travel to Biggleswade Town on Saturday (kick-off 3pm).