FC lose five-goal thriller at Barton

Brian Haule scored for Aylesbury FC at Barton while Calor Southern League top scorer Nat Peacock grabbed a hat-trick for Barton (inset)
Brian Haule scored for Aylesbury FC at Barton while Calor Southern League top scorer Nat Peacock grabbed a hat-trick for Barton (inset)

Calor Southern League top scorer Nat Peacock was the difference between the two teams as Aylesbury FC lost 3-2 on their travels to Barton Rovers on Tuesday night.

The Moles went into the match off the back of two big victories but highlighted Peacock as the man they had to stop if they were going to get a positive result against the high flying Bedfordshire side.

Aylesbury started the better of the two teams with the pace of Gareth Price and Jerome Federico causing problems for the Barton defence.

On four minutes Price picked the ball up on the touchline cut inside but his shot was deflected for a corner. Lamar Simpson, supporting down the right, then found Jerome Federico on the right wing but his cross came to nothing.

Just like at the weekend against Thatcham, FC keeper Rhys Marshall was picking out Gareth Price regularly with his long goal kicks and on 21 minutes the fleet footed winger found himself alone 25 yards out but his attempted lob sailed wide.

It wasn’t all Aylesbury, though, and Barton did have their chances as they hit the bar two minutes later.

Jack Thomson was covering every blade of grass in the centre of midfield and closed down every Barton foray. He was also though getting forward and and on 26 minutes found himself 25 yards from goal and his blockbuster was tipped over the bar by Barton keeper Forster.

Federico continued to cause mayhem down the right but often without an end product.

On 38 minutes Peacock struck for his first goal when, after a defensive error, he found himself on the edge of the box and slotted the ball home for against the run of play. FC though, playing all the football, equalised two minutes later when Federico whipped the ball into the box and Brian Haule sent a bullet header past the Barton keeper for a deserved equaliser to make it 1-1 at half-time.

The game was a lot more even in the second half with FC having all the possession but Barton always looking dangerous as they continued to get the ball forward into dangerous positions and on 51 minutes Barton again took the lead when after a series of ricochets in the box saw Paeacok slot home once again.

Lee Grant hit the crossbar with a header from a Matt Hall corner on 60 minutes. FC continued to press forward and another great move involved some intricate play between Price, Brian Haule and Federico which ended with the ball being deflected over the bar.

With eight minutes on the clock FC equalised when a poor clearance from the keeper found Price all alone and with just Forster to beat. The Aylesbury boy lashed the ball home from the edge of the box and Craig Faulconbridge’s men looked to be heading for a deserved three points.

But three minutes into injury time and with the referee looking at his watch, the ball was fired into Aylesbury’s box and poacher Peacock somehow threw himself at the loose ball to force it past Marshall for the hat-trick.

Despite the deflating manner of the defeat, the Moles returned to Aylesbury with plenty of positives, playing good, attacking, passing football although perhaps lacking that killer instinct.