FC held at home but extend unbeaten run

Aylesbury FC drew against Hayes
Aylesbury FC drew against Hayes

Aylesbury FC extended their unbeaten run to four games with a 1-1 at home to AFC Hayes but should have taken all three points.

On too many occasions, a rush of blood to the head when in sight of goal along with Hayes’ resolute back line always meant this was going to be a low scoring game and both teams had to settle for a point.

A decent corner two minutes in from Gareth Price caused consternation in the box and just a few seconds later Danny Burnell spotted a gap in the Hayes defence and his swerving shot was hit with such power, the keeper only just managed to control it.

FC continued to press and it was that man Price who again tried his luck, this time his shot just passing the post.

The away team through Jordan Lawal struggled to find space before team mate Tashan Jordan attempted an acrobatic overhead kick that might have been dangerous had it been hit that little more cleanly.

FC’s best chance of the half came when striker Price was played in and as away keeper Baluinder Khaira narrowed the angle, Gareth drove his shot past him but also past the post.

In response, Jake Cass twisted and turned on the edge of the box with his eventual shot clearing the bar.

Adam Logie had worked well all through the opening spell with midfield partner Sonny French and it was his pass that led to a Sonny effort which once more fizzed past the post despite beating the keeper.

Yet another piece of Burnell initiative saw him play in Price and, not for the first time in the game, Gareth’s shot failed to hit the target with the FC man under pressure from an AFC Hayes defender.

Burnell followed this up with a double strike on goal, the first effort was blocked and the second effort well saved as FC’s attempts on goal went well into double figures.

Only one player from Saturday’s back four started the game, Ben Stevens, however his partnership with Steve Perkins looked much more solid than the defensive set up for the Beaconsfield match.

This was allowing the likes of Ollie Burgess and Bradley Wadkins to feed the front men with the first chance of the second half falling to Price whose low shot was saved at the near post by the keeper’s legs.

Price became provider a few minutes after this as he played in Ollie Burgess, however Ollie’s shot possessed neither the power nor the accuracy to seriously trouble the Hayes goal.

A cross over in the 57th minute found Danny Burnell but, under pressure, Danny was unable to get enough power as FC continued to lay siege to the visitor’s goal.

Yet another chance four minutes later saw Ollie Burgess hit a shot on the half volley which cleared the bar.

As is so often the case when a team is trying to break down a stout defence, they can get caught on the break and this is exactly what happened for the away team’s goal.

FC were guilty of sleepwalking in midfield and AFC Hayes robbed Wadkins of the ball in the midfield area.

Andrew Harewood ran a good length of the pitch before drawing out James Weatherill in the FC goal and as the keeper advanced, Harewood comfortably slotted the ball into the bottom corner.

With the time running out, FC searched for an equaliser. Burnell played in Price who slammed the ball into the side netting when a little composure was required however the leveller was not too far away.

FC were awarded a free kick midway into the opposition half and Bradley Wadkins swept in a teasing cross that Steve Perkins headed into the net with just five minutes left on the clock.

FC travel to Uxbridge on Saturday (3pm KO).