FC get footballing lesson from Conference South side

Simeon Charles was the busiest man on the pitch   PHOTO: www.aylesburyfc.com
Simeon Charles was the busiest man on the pitch PHOTO: www.aylesburyfc.com

Aylesbury FC held their own for large periods but were comfortably beaten 4-1 by visitors Maidenhead United on Tuesday night.

While this was a sporting encounter it was by no means a friendly kickabout, writes Jools Thomas.

Full blooded tackles went in, passion and commitment was displayed and every attempt was made by both teams to get forward. Overall it was a positive work out for the Moles.

The 4-1 scoreline was not a fair reflection of the game although Maidenhead, understandably, showed superior guile, tactical awareness and creativity befitting a Conference South side.

The opening quarter of an hour saw Maidenhead strike the woodwork twice. The first chance deceived returning keeper Simeon Charles with the ball slapping the bar and the second was a deflection off another player who has sealed a return from last season, Max Farrelly. It looped over Simeon before again striking the bar. The visitors took the lead on 23 minutes; a cross from the right being forced in at the near post. Just three minutes later and the score was doubled. Space was found on the left hand side of the area and the ball was hit low into the bottom corner. Brian Haule had to leave the field injured and substitute Lamar Simpson came on. That allowed wingers Jerome Federico and Gareth Price more space to run and thus FC were afforded more attacking options. Just before half time, one of these chances was converted as Jonathan Constant found a run in on goal, danced around the keeper and slotted the ball into an empty net.

On 52 minutes a contentious incident occurred. After Maidenhead had hit a post, FC went up the other end and as Jerome Federico looked for space in the box, he appeared to be unfairly bundled off the ball. That the referee did not award a penalty was a surprise to many. On 66 minutes Constant fired in a low range shot which the keeper managed to gather as the attacking work of FC started to produce more chances. Shortly afterwards however Maidenhead grabbed the decisive third goal. An innocuous left wing foray resulted in a shot which beat Charles through the tiniest of gaps at his right hand post. Shortly afterwards came the move of the match which unfortunately did not produce the goal it deserved. Romaine Walker skipped through half a dozen challenges before unleashing an effort the keeper did well to save as Federico blasted the rebound over the bar. Federico was still looking for a goal when he blasted a free-kick which the keeper held on 82 minutes before Maidenhead scored their fourth, a breakaway on the right with the ball skipping into the net from a low right foot shot.

The match was FC’s last ‘official’ friendly of pre-season but they have a game against an Aylesbury and District League select side to come this Saturday. The match, which kicks off at 3pm, is free entry.