Ducks held to rare stalemate by Sarnies but it’s two points gained

Aylesbury United played out a 0-0 draw with Egham
Aylesbury United played out a 0-0 draw with Egham

Aylesbury United were held to only their second goalless draw of the season when they entertained Egham Town.

The visitors arrived off the back of a six-match winning run in league and cup, having scored 20 goals and conceded only one in that time - perhaps not the ideal opposition following Wednesday evening’s disappointing result against Daventry.

Changes were made to the starting line up, as Tony Joyce chose to rotate the squad again. The five subs from Wednesday were restored to the starting line up; Keith Williams returned at left back in place of Zack Reynolds, who was rested after reporting a slight knee strain, Liam Smyth returned to partner Greg Williams in the centre of midfield with Lee Grace on the left and Paul Edgeworth on the right. Top scorer Stacey Field replaced Dom Petrucci up front.

The game soon settled down into a midfield battle, with scoring opportunities scarce in the opening exchanges, although the visitors had the best of the play. The nearest either side came to scoring in the first half was when Egham centre back Ryan Lake had the ball in the net, but saw the goal chalked off because he had put it in with his hand - and rightly earned himself a yellow card. The second half followed the same pattern, both sides cancelling each other out in the midfield battle, with neither side having the ability to get the ball in the net when chances were created. Despite making positive substitutions, and playing more cohesively than the first half, the Ducks were unable to force the issue, although Stacey Field had a great opportunity 2 minutes from time. A great move down the right saw Jason Blackett cross to him unmarked in the 6 yard box. His firm header was superbly saved by visiting keeper Norris at point blank range.

The game ended goalless, which considering Egham’s recent form should perhaps go down as a point gained rather than two points dropped. Worryingly with the return match at Daventry tomorrow (Tuesday) night, Steve Hatch limped out with a leg injury in the first half, and both Jack Wood and Richard Armstrong picked up knocks in the second half, although both completed the match.

The Ducks will want as many fit players as possible available on Tuesday evening, for what promises to be another testing evening against a team in top form.