Cup penalty win helps ease Ducks manager’s ref rage

Ducks boss Tony Joyce
Ducks boss Tony Joyce

Tony Joyce’s anger at missing out on three valuable points which would have pulled his side level with Saturday’s opponents and league leaders Dunstable was eased somewhat by a penalty win against Leverstock Green in the Premier Division Cup on Tuesday night.

After 120 minutes failed to separate Leverstock Green and the Ducks at 2-2 in their Spartan South Midlands Premier Division Cup tie on Tuesday, it was United who triumphed 5-4 on penalties to progress.

Top scorer Stacey Field gave the Ducks a third minute lead when he fired home from 25 yards, but Levy fought their way back into proceedings.

They eventually equalised when Brad Wadkins scored midway through the second half, and with neither side able to find a decider extra-time followed.

United scored early again, Ben Baines notching another to his growing tally and although the Ducks dominated the additional period, the home side levelled once more to force the dreaded penalty shoot out.

Tony Joyce’s side now face a trip to Dunstable Town in the second round on November 27.

The cup victory followed an agonising 2-2 draw with league leaders Dunstable on Saturday.

United were 2-0 ahead until the intervention of the referee who gave some bemusing decisions to leave Joyce fuming and his side still adrift of the leaders by three points.

Second-placed Ducks were 2-0 up with 10 minutes left of the big clash.

But the official’s failure to send off a Dunstable defender for a clear foul when last man and a penalty decision for a debatable foul outside the box in stoppage time had Joyce, who rarely criticises match officials, incandescent.

“It was embarrassing,” Joyce said.

“The ref has had an absolute stinker and even Dunstable’s manager has said he doesn’t know how they have got anything out of the game.”

United entertain Hillingdon Borough on Saturday (3pm) at their Bell Close ground before welcoming St Margaretsbury next Wednesday night from 7.45pm.