Chinnor win close contest 3-2 due to Chapman’s treble.

editorial image
Share this article

Chinnor FC beat Maidenhead Reserves 3-2 thanks to a hat-trick from Ryan Chapman.

The game started at a frantic pace as both sides looked to settle but it was Chinnor who piled on the pressure when they scored inside 10 minutes. Some neat passing down the right dragged the Maidenhead left-back out of position and Ian Braun found himself with room and he crossed to the unmarked Ryan Chapman who tapped in from close range.

Chinnor didn’t have to wait long for a second when on 15 minutes Ian Braun out-classed Maidenhead’s right-back with some quick footwork and he was brought down in the box and a penalty was rewarded.

Chapman stepped up and placed the ball in the top corner giving the keeper no chance.

The game was open and both sides played good attacking football. Maidenhead hit the post and the cross bar in the same move. They also had shots from range that didn’t trouble Ben Taunton in goal.

With a couple of minutes to go before half-time a corner came in which Stuart Braun headed towards goal. The keeper was beaten but a Maidenhead defender jumped and tipped the ball over the cross bar.

The referee awarded the penalty but for some reason chose to only show a yellow card. Chapman stepped up to take the penalty but his effort rattled the cross bar and Maidenhead cleared the danger. The game could have been well and truly over if the referee had applied the laws of the game and Chapman had slotted the penalty to put Chinnor three up at the break.

Maidenhead started the brighter side in the second-half and they were soon rewarded with a goal on 50 minutes.

The alarm bells were beginning to ring for Chinnor but they reacted positively and took control of the game once more with efforts from Chapman, Braun, Adam Stallwood, Tom Folley and Mark Jones failing to find the net.

Chapman’s third goal came in a period of the game when Chinnor were in control. Braun’s clever reverse pass to Chapman opened up Maidenhead’s defence. Chapman rolled the defender and hit a first-time shot into the bottom corner from the edge of the box to complete his hat-trick. Maidenhead were not finished and went all out attack and scored to make the last 10 minutes very interesting.

The remainder passed without either keeper being troubled and Chinnor keeping the ball well, starving Maidenhead of any possession.

Maidenhead have some very good, young and talented players and the game was a good game to watch for the neutral with the right team winning on the day.