Chinnor FC maintain unbeaten run with 2-1 win

Chinnor secured another win on Saturday against a very good Maidenhead United Reserves.

Chinnor’s unbeaten run in the league now stretches back to late September when they were beaten by Highmoor Ibis.

Manager Dave Ridgley was fortunate to be able to select virtually the same starting eleven that beat Winterbourne the week before except for Gary Marshall who picked up an injury in that game. Marshall’s replacement was Ryan Chapman who has been patiently waiting for an opportunity to play in his favourite position.

Chinnor started well and dominated the first half hour and should have made better use of their territorial advantage. A good number of half chances went begging as they laid siege to Maidenhead’s area.

The domination turned into a goal on 18 minutes when Steve Newell scored his first for the club. Shown inside by the full-back Newell dropped his shoulder and changed direction and curled the ball from 25 yards into the far corner.

After half an hour Maidenhead managed to get back in the game and retained possession a little better.

Chinnor keeper Ben Taunton was called upon just before the break and turned a close range shot over the bar to maintain Chinnor’s lead.

The half-time whistle followed shortly after and Chinnor went into the break a goal to the good but knowing they should have made better use of the first half hour’s domination.

The second half started with both sides looking hungry for goals. Maidenhead’s defence were playing a dangerous high-line which was exposed by the pace of Chapman and Adam Stallwood on a number of occasions.

Chinnor’s line was a little deeper and solid, not allowing any room for Maidenhead’s front three to expose. Albeit only one-up Chinnor seemed in control of the second half and increased their lead on 68 minutes when substitute Tom Folley, on for the injured Stuart Braun, headed home a corner with a bullet-header from 15 yards. Chapman’s delivery was inch-perfect and Folley’s header left the keeper with no chance.

Maidenhead began to throw more bodies forward and Chinnor should have taken advantage as they left themselves exposed at the back.

Chinnor were given a wake up call on 73 minutes when Kyle Lucas pounced on some hesitancy in the Chinnor back line and crossed from the left for an easy tap-in for Michael Pearce at the far post to make it 2-1.

Maidenhead pressed hard from the re-start in search of an equaliser but Chinnor’s older more experienced heads managed to see out the remainder of the game without any further threat to secure another victory and keep their unbeaten run going.