Dinton boost safety hope with vital win

Dinton batting against Great and Little Tew
Dinton batting against Great and Little Tew

Dinton secured an important 40 run victory over Great & Little Tew to boost the club’s hopes of staying in the Home Counties Division 2 West.

Great & Little Tew won the toss and asked Dinton to bat first under overcast conditions.

Opening bowlers Liam Manly and Matt Woods wasted little time in making inroads to the Dinton batting order reducing the home side to 22-4.

Dinton managed to hit back through Woodward and King who added 90 runs to steady the innings, but after the good work they collapsed to 139-8.

Looking dangerously close to posting under par score, Dinton severely needed partnerships from the tail and found it through Brooker and Amin, adding 45 valuable runs.

The home team eventually made it up to 199-9 at the end of the allocated 50 overs.

Nheem Amin got Dinton off to a flyer bowling Smith with the fourth ball of the innings,

Great & Little Tew recovered through Gross and White, the pair adding 50 in decent time.

However the pair perished to the accurate pairing of Brooker and Woodward.

The duo continued their accurate spell and ripped through the top and middle order, Brooker taking 3 wickets and Woodward 2.

With the opposition reeling on 113-7 Gibbins made sure of no late order comeback, taking three wickets of his own

Eventually they were all out for 146 with Dinton moving above them in table to 6th and 17 points behind Reading.

On Saturday Dinton travel to Aston Rowant.

Meanwhile, in the Mid Bucks League Division 2 Aylesbury sealed promotion and took a definitive step towards winning the title by defeating nearest challengers Challoners.

Paul Cherry and Graham Tennant took to the batting crease in the absence of leading run scorer Phil Thuriarajah and clocked up a solid 62 for 0 before rain delayed proceedings after 16 overs.

After a calamitous few wickets Aylesbury turned to the younger Khan brother and had him to thank for keeping them ticking over with an impressive 56 before being caught out to leave Town on 185 all out from 36 overs.

Aylesbury were in confident mood when bowling but had to wait until the 9th over for the first wicket to fall.

After a poor opening stand, Challoners stabilised their innings until Aylesbury captain Farooq took a few wickets to have the opposition sweating again.

As the rain came again Challoners were well short of the revised target of 30 or so runs and the umpires decided to call the game off in favour of Town.

Aylesbury Town next host Holmer Green on Saturday.