Aylesbury stun Slough to reach final for second year running

Aylesbury Rugby Club v Slough
Aylesbury Rugby Club v Slough
Share this article

AYLESBURY booked their place in the final of the Bucks Shield after stunning Slough in the sweltering heat on Saturday.

From the start of the semi final, Ays looked the better side controlling the ball and territorial position and after five minutes speedster Empson picked the ball up on the Slough 10 metre line and went on a jinking run.

Aylesbury Rugby Club v Slough

Aylesbury Rugby Club v Slough

Poor Slough tackling plus his speed allowed Empson to evade tackle after tackle to score to the left of the posts. Woodfall converted.

Slough looked dangerous, and it took a last-ditch tackle from Moore to save Ays, who increased their lead when Woodfall drove though the Slough defence to score a try to which he then added the conversion.

But the visitors let Slough back into the game when the number eight fed the scrum half on the blind side to skin the Ays back row to score.

The conversion hit the post to take the score to Slough 5 Ays 14.

But Aylesbury began to press and press and Slough’s discipline began to slip. From a penalty 20 metres from the Slough line scrum half Moore reacted quickly and ran the ball at Slough.

Evading tackles Moore got the ball over the Slough try line, and Woodfall added the conversion.

The next score came from a slick back move when the ball was moved wide where D’Almeida cleverly put Hart away on the wing to run the ball in for a try.

This time Woodfall could not convert the try so the score went to Slough 5 Ays 26 at half time.

The visitors stretched their lead when a great handling move saw the ball move wide for D’Almeida to score near the corner post, but Woodfall missed the conversion.

A similar move saw D’Almeida take his second try with again Woodfall missing the conversion, with the score at 36 to 5.

After a real team move that saw the saw the ball through forwards and backs the Slough defensive line ran out of defenders. Ays manufactured a three man overlap, Dodds ran in the try which was converted to take the score to Slough 5 Ays 43.

From the kick off an ugly tackle off the ball on Blake saw him unable to carry on and Sale came on as a replacement.

Further replacements were made with Styles and Few coming on. Styles soon made an impact when he got hit of the day with a crunching tackle on the Slough wing. Ays began to take their foot of the gas which allowed Slough to come back into the game when they ran in two late try’s, one of which was converted.

However, Ays had the last word though when man of the match Woodfall took the ball 40 metres out and strong running saw him shrug off weak tackling to run the ball in under the posts.

The conversion took the final score to Slough 17 Ays 50.

The final of the Bucks Shield will be against Beaconsfield and held at Aylesbury on the October 15.