Watch out for dodgy Christmas lights say Vale fire crews

editorial image

FAULTY Christmas lights are believed to be the cause of a fire in Aylesbury – and crews have issued a warning to stop more families being affected.

Shortly before 10pm on Monday, three fire crews were called to a house on Masons Way.

A curtain caught fire in a ground floor room and firefighters say the most likely cause was the Christmas lights in the window.

The occupants were alerted by smoke alarms which had been fitted six months ago by fire crews.

A man was treated for the effects of breathing in smoke by paramedics from South Central Ambulance Service.

Afterwards, watch Manager Kevin Mercer from Aylesbury Fire Station issued the following safety advice:

* Don’t overload electrical sockets.

* Unplug Christmas lights when you leave the house or go to bed.

* Don’t let bulbs touch anything that can burn easily, such as paper or fabrics.

* Check fairy lights are in good working order and replace any bulbs that blow.

* Make sure the fuse in the plug is the right size (check the box for advice).

* Check your Christmas tree lights carry the British Safety Standard sign.

* Decorations can burn easily – so don’t attach them to lights or heaters.

* Keep candles away from things that might catch fire, like Christmas trees, greeting cards, ribbons and other decorations.

* Put candles out when you leave the room, and make sure they’re put out completely at night.