‘I send my sincerest apologies to the people we affected’: Aylesbury man says sorry for vehicle damage

Aylesbury Magistrates' Court
Aylesbury Magistrates' Court

One of the men convicted of causing thousands of pounds worth of damage to vehicles parked in Aylesbury has apologised for what he did.

Alexander Goodridge and Niall Pearce, both from Aylesbury, were involved in an incident which saw £6,205 of damage done to 17 cars in Tring Road.

At Aylesbury Magistrates’ Court on Monday they were ordered to pay thousands in compensation and must do hundreds of hours of community service.

Speaking to the Bucks Herald after his sentencing, 21-year-old Goodridge said he was ‘ashamed’ of his actions.

Goodridge, of Cottesloe Road, said: “I would like to say to the public that I am very sorry about what happened that evening, those actions were not an accurate reflection of neither my own or Niall Pearce’s behaviour or attitude.

“I understand that our inexcusable drunken actions would have caused a lot of unnecessary stress to households that could have done without it.

“I know that a car is likely to be the second biggest purchase a person makes after their home.

“I know that a lot of people rely on their vehicles to get to and from work, evenings out with the family and the school run, and a lot of people take pride in their cars.

“I send my sincerest apologies to the people we affected.”

Goodridge and Pearce, who both pleaded guilty to 17 counts of criminals damage, went out with friends to The Bell, Niche and Mirage on the night of Friday, November 16, before walking out of town along Tring Road in the early hours, when the vehicles were vandalised.

The damage, which included broken wing mirrors and kicked panels, ranged in value from £17 to just over £2,000.

As the vehicles were being damaged, five people called the police and Pearce, Goodridge and two other youths were arrested.

Goodridge was told he must pay £1,551 in compensation, complete 200 hours of unpaid work and was given a community order for a year.

Pearce, of Granville Street, was ordered to pay compensation of £1,541 and must carry out 120 hours of unpaid work. He was also given a community order for a year.

Two other men charged in relation to the incident have denied being involved and are due to stand trial on August 23.