A BOY has been hailed a hero after he saved his six-year-old sister’s life using first aid.
Nine-year-old Connor White from Hawkslade, Aylesbury, stopped his sister Lara from choking to death using his skills taught to him at the St John Ambulance Badgers group.
The pair’s mother, Shelley, said the siblings were playing upstairs, when Lara began to choke on a raisin.
“I was at work while my husband was at home looking after our children Connor and Lara,” said Shelley.
“He was busy doing some DIY downstairs and the children were playing in Connor’s room upstairs. Lara was eating some raisins and when one got stuck in her throat she started choking. My husband had heard Lara laughing but when her laugh turned into a choke he ran upstairs.”
By the time he got to the top of the stairs, their father Jay found that Connor had already moved Lara from a laying down position and had got her to sit up and given her two back slaps.
The two initial slaps did not work, so Connor gave her one harder back slap which successfully cleared the food from Lara’s airway and allowed her to breathe again.
“We are extremely proud of Connor and grateful for the skills he has learnt,” added Shelley.
“His quick thinking and ability to remain calm averted what could have been a much more serious incident.”
Connor, who attends Turnfurlong Junior School, has been a member of the Badgers group for three years, during which time he has learned a number of different skills, including the vital first aid.
He said: “I really enjoy badgers and I am proud and happy that I saved my sister. Learning first aid at Badgers helped me to think quickly and stay calm.”
St John Ambulance county director Clive Harrington said: “At St John Ambulance we believe that no one is too young to learn first aid as it can be the difference between a life lost and a life saved – as was certainly the case with Connor and Lara.”