‘Do not panic over asbestos concerns’

Share this article

AN electrician has moved to allay people’s fears concerning asbestos in homes.

Last week’s Thame Gazette reported that Penny Carlton and her children had to leave their house after the dangerous substance was found in her home in Sheerstock, Haddenham.

The young family were forced out after building work disturbed asbestos which had been insulating her boiler.

In response to the piece Keith Milmer, who works for 1st Electrical Services, has moved to calm residents’ fears.

He said: “Asbestos-containing materials are still present in hundreds of thousands, if not millions, of British homes, as well as in many schools and hospitals and if left undisturbed are completely harmless.

“Tradespeople like plumbers, heating engineers and electricians are well aware of the potential dangers and will take special precautions if there is a risk of disturbing such materials.

“Otherwise, providing the asbestos is well maintained and preferably covered by an impermeable layer of paint or other material so that it is not releasing dust, asbestos-containing materials do not present any hazard to health.”

After three weeks of staying with family and friends Penny was able to return to her home.

If you are worried about potential asbestos in your home visit www.hse.gov.uk/asbestos/ for advice.