UPDATE: Man charged with Thame double murder

Scene of double murder at Ireton Court in Thame
Scene of double murder at Ireton Court in Thame
Share this article

A 21-year-old man has been charged with the murders of two women found dead in a house in Thame in the early hours of Sunday morning.

Ensar Gol, of Ireton Court, is due to appear at Oxford Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday morning accused of two counts of murder and one of attempted murder.

The two women, believed to be mother and daughter, died of stab wounds and a third was taken to hospital after the grisly incident at the house in Ireton Court.

Police were called to the house around 2am on Sunday morning and Gol was arrested on suspicion of murder in the town centre shortly after.

Residents and neighbours report that a police helicopter was involved in the arrest.

The two deceased women were aged 50 and 28. The third woman, a 19 year old, remains in hospital but it is not thought her injuries are life-threatening.

Det Chief Insp Joe Kidman said: “At this time it appears that all parties are known to each other and we are not seeking anyone else in connection with this case.

“I have a team of detectives working hard to establish the full circumstances of this incident and what led to the tragic deaths of these two women. Neighbourhood policing teams will continue to be visible in the area throughout the day.

“We are grateful to members of the public who have come forward and provided us with information and we would ask others who can assist us with our investigation to make contact.

“I’m not expecting formal identifications to take place today but I will release this information as soon as they have taken place.”

Clare Dawson, who lives in nearby Skippon Way, said: “We were woken up by the helicopter going over head at about 2.30am.

“There was a lot of noise and you could see the searchlight.

“We didn’t know what was going on but thought it was probably a drunken fight in town.

“An ambulance arrived at about 3.10am but we didn’t know what it was all about until this morning.

“It’s just horrific that it has happened here.”

Another neighbour, who didn’t want to be named, said they’d woken up to a lot of police vehicles.

“There were a lot of cars and people about from very early this morning. There’s lots of rumours about what happened. I don’t know the people involved.”

Anyone with information can contact the 24-hour Thames Valley Police enquiry centre on 08458 505505.

More on this as and when we get it.