Boss happy with 4-1 win

Football: THAME United were given a boost with a comfortable 4-1 win on Tuesday, which saw them climb four places in the league.

Goals from Aaron Rogers, Sam Cowan, Alex Stewart and Dan West saw United cruise to a win over Fairford Town.

Boss Mark West said he was impressed with the performance from his injury-plagued squad, but said he is expecting a more difficult clash on Saturday when high-flying Binfield visit the ASM Stadium.

West said: “We could have got a couple more, but I’ll take a 4-1 win, I’m quite happy with that.

“It helps our league position, even though we’ve got a couple of games in hand, we still need to win them.

“I was expecting us to win, if we’re going to keep ourselves away from the bottom, that’s the kind of game we need to win.”

Fixtures have been coming thick and fast, and the side’s injury list is piling up, with Ben Connelly suffering a broken collarbone during a League Challenge Cup clash against Abingdon Town on Saturday, which finished 1-1.

West said: “We’ve got six first team lads missing, and I don’t think we’ve been able to put out the same teams for two successive games so far this season.

“Saturday is going to be tough, they’re a very physical side, if we can get a point from that I’ll be pleased.”

Saturday’s clash kicks off at 3pm.

Thame United moved up four league places, to 11th position, at the ASM Stadium on Tuesday evening with a comfortable 4-1 win over Fairford Town. It was an entertaining game with Thame playing attractive flowing football, albeit against one of the league’s weaker teams.United had the bulk of first half play, their first goal coming after 14 minutes play. James keeble hit a perfect long ball from inside the Thame half, over the heads of defenders, finding Aaron Rogers who calmly chipped the ball over the advancing keeper. Thame were looking sharp,and Alex Stewart, Adam Little and Rogers all went close. The second goal came 5 minutes before the break from a Dan West free kick which Sam Cowan headed in from close range at the far post.The visitors came out fired up for the second half and where far more of a threat.

Nevertheless it was Thame who, on 51 minutes increased their lead; once again via a West free kick. He hit a superb 40-yard ball which found the tall Stewart who headed in well, placing the ball beyond the reach of the keeper, from 10-Yards. Minutes later the visitors hit the post with a header. With 70 minutes played, Fairford got a consolation goal when Thame keeper Nick Bennion parried a strong shot but the ball fell to substitute James Keeler who finished from 15-yards. Thame’s final goal came 10 minutes before the final whistle. Rogers hit a low cross finding Matt Hall central, at the edge of the penalty area who set up West, whose well placed shot beat the hapless keeper. Overall it was a competent Thame performance but they will face stiffer opposition next Saturday when 3rd placed Binfield are the visitors.