Blaze at Thame High Street shop ‘started by dropped cigarette’


A fire that was started by a lit cigarette could have caused significant damage to a shop, the owner has said.

Four fire engines were called out just after 8am on Saturday morning after a fire in the basement of a stationery shop in Thame High Street.

The fire at Glynswood was discovered by the manager of the shop Kim Podmore who said it could have been much worse had she not caught it when she did.

Mrs Podmore said: “I got there an hour before we were due to open as I had some things to catch up on and to get to the shop and see it full of smoke was awful.

“I rung the fire brigade straight away and at that point thankfully the fire was contained in the basement.

“If I hadn’t caught it when I did, it may have spread into the shop itself.”

The shop was able to open later on Saturday morning although the smell of smoke is still noticeable in the shop.

Mrs Podmore said: “The fire was started because somebody dropped a lit cigarette and it fell through the grate outside the shop, which gives air to the basement.

“It is awful to think that something like that could have caused such damage to my business.”

Bucks Fire and Rescue sent one fire engine to provide assistance to Oxfordshire Fire and Rescue Service.