MARK Webber admits a bad tyre call cost him dear during a rain-soaked Malaysian Grand Prix on Sunday.
With clutch trouble limiting the Aston Clinton man’s performance in the season opening Australian Grand Prix last week, it was Red Bull’s decision making which restricted him at Sepang.
Starting fourth on the grid, the Aussie drove expertly to retain that position come the chequered flag as Ferrari’s Fernando Alonso got a surprise victory.
And while he admits conditions were tough, Webber said overall performances in the opening two grand prixes bode well for the rest of the year.
“It was busy with a lot of calls going on at the re-start and with the tyres,” he said.
“My stint on the intermediates after the red flag was tricky and I didn’t have much confidence.
“When I went onto the dry tyres, I felt much more confident, but it was a little bit too late then. You’ve got to take your hat off to Fernando and Perez today, there were some good calls made at the front.
“It was a mixed-up race and it was good to get some points.
“There were some great strengths to take from this weekend. The team has been working really hard, so thanks to them. We know there will be more opportunities in the future.”
After a hectic start to the season Webber will now have a three-week break until the next race in China on April 15 before travelling straight to Bahrain seven days later (April 22).