Nathan Graham says he was ‘robbed’ after accepting an 11th hour invitation to fight for the Southern Area title on Saturday night.
Graham had been gearing up to fight Adam Battle for the International Light Middleweight Masters title this Sunday (September 23) at York Hall.
But he got the biggest surprise of his boxing career so far when he received a call last Wednesday asking if he wanted to take the fight against Kristian Agyei-Dua, which was broadcast live on SkySports.
Surprise turned to anger after the bout went the 10-round distance and judges recorded the result as a draw, contrary to what Graham, commentators and even his opponent expected.
“I was robbed!” said a still seething Graham on Monday.
“He (Agyei-Dua) even admitted it on Facebook after the fight that I had won.
“So at least he was an honest guy and he even admitted he underestimated me.
“They assumed that by the sixth round I’d be gassed out. But they got a shock. I hit him with some good shots, which he took well to be fair.
“But I won by a couple of rounds, everyone was saying it, even the Sky commentators, ringside had me up by four rounds and so I’m really disappointed they’ve sided with the home fighter and put it down as a draw. I didn’t get the decision I earned.
“I’m not going to dwell on it, though, I have another title fight to focus on straight away,” he said.
After the fight, Graham’s opponent Agyei-Dua commented on Graham’s Facebook page admitting: “Hats off to Nathan! A lot stronger than I expected.
“Have watched it back on TV now.. a lot of pick em’ rounds, but still had Nathan winning by a round or two.”
The former Aylesbury United and FC footballer rested on Sunday before getting ready for Battle in his quick turnaround title fight on Sunday. For tickets call 07507526877.