Thame progress after league cup win at Letcombe

editorial image

Thame United travelled to Letcombe Regis on Saturday where they won their Hellenic League Cup game against Letcombe 3-1.

Their hosts are currently one place from the bottom of Hellenic Division 1 West so Premier League Thame should have recorded a comfortable win.

Although United had 60% of the play, their win was far from comfortable as they had to recover from going a goal down and only took the lead with 20 minutes remaining. Manager Mark West took the opportunity to rest Ben Connelly and Alex Stewart, whilst Dan West and Ellis Hercules were on the bench. The game saw the debut of striker Niall Hodgkins who joins Thame from Kidlington.

After the opening exchanges Letcombe were awarded a free kick for hand ball 25 yards from the Thame goal. Striker Adam Bruce took the kick and placed it high into the left corner with Thame goalkeeper Lee Farrow seemingly unsighted.

United equalised in the 20th minute when a Stuart Barr in-swinging corner beat everyone inside the 6 yard box and crossed the line high inside the far post.

United began to control the play with Meredith Mitchell, Luke Ricketts and Cameron Lagan all going close, but the score was level at half time.

Shortly after the restart Letcombe created and squandered a good scoring opportunity. The visitors again started to control the game and Barr forced a good save from the home keeper. Thame created some excellent chances but seemed unable to find the target.

Dan West came on 20 minutes into the second half and put Thame into the lead a few minutes later. West was fouled just outside the area, and both he and Adam Rhodes lined up to take the free kick.

Rhodes rolled the ball to West who struck it sweetly into the bottom corner of the home goal. A few minutes later Barr hit the goalpost from a difficult angle. With about 10 minutes remaining Ellis Hercules came on and central defender Nik Rhodes moved into a striking position.

The move paid off in the final minute when Phil Pykett hit a perfect cross from the left and Rhodes jumped to meet it with a glancing header, giving the keeper no chance.