Season is draw-ing to a close for Moles

Aylesbury FC manager Steve Bateman
Aylesbury FC manager Steve Bateman
Have your say

Aylesbury FC extended their unbeaten run but it was another draw, this time 1-1 against Uxbridge.

FC took the field at Honeycroft missing the spine of their team from injury and suspensions with established first choice men Tom Cutts, Sonny French, Connor Baker and Gareth Price all out. That the team were able to gain a valuable point and continue their unbeaten run was a testament to the hard work and endeavour put in by their deputies in a workman-like display.

FC had the first real chance of the game and perhaps should have taken the lead through it. Good work by Lamar Simpson found Danny Burnell whose shot was straight at the keeper allowing the Uxbridge Number One to save comfortably. At the other end, Emmanuel Otira had a half chance when cutting in from the right which was blocked before going away for a corner. As the game settled, Uxbridge posed the more attacking threat however with Simon Sweeney, Kevin Mealor, Ben Stevens and Steve Perkins in gladiatorial mood, only half chances were offered. A powerful header by Dave Thomas was one that got past the defence proving FC could not drop their guard. FC offered occasional resistance. Danny Burnell again linked well with Simpson, his pass just failing to set the pacy wide man free. Bradley Wadkins used his power and strength all afternoon to trouble the home centre backs and his precision pass with the outside of the boot found Ollie Burgess on 19 minutes. The pass may have come to Ollie a little too quickly as he could only strike a shot which Rourke Pickford gathered quite easily.

A free kick from Wayne Carter then almost broke the deadlock. James Weatherill pushed it on to the post and a follow up header from Craig Tomkins and penalty box stab also failed to find the net. As the half drew to a close, Matthew Woods let loose with a powerful shot which just cleared the post and yet another chance from the same man saw Weatherill save at his feet.

Weatherill was at it again just after the restart when Mark Smith sent in a shot but soon after this effort FC took the lead. Sam Bateman brought the ball down the right wing before crossing into the box. The ball caused confusion and Emmanuel Otira sliced the ball into his own net. FC attempted to push on following this goal. Lamar again tried his luck cutting in from the right before unleashing a shot the keeper did well to get a hand to. Attempts to extend the lead were foiled soon after when Uxbridge’s Chris Moore danced past several FC defenders before tucking the ball into the bottom corner of the goal for a very impressive equaliser.

Matthew Woods had two excellent chances to snatch the lead for the home team but on each occasion the FC goal remained intact. From this time one, FC began to enjoy a good period of possession. Adam Logie and Wadkins were linking up well together to feed Burnell and Simpson. One of these spells saw Lamar Simpson feed in Ollie Burgess whose cross caused mayhem before being cleared for a corner. The game had become quite open and to be honest quite an entertaining affair with both sides looking to play attack. Uxbridge created a move of quality as the game entered the last quarter of an hour. A jinking run down the right found Melford Simpson whose diving header crashed against the side netting.

The closest FC would come to grabbing all three points occurred on 86 minutes. Burnell and Simpson found themselves clear and only a last ditch interception prevented Danny locating an unmarked Lamar who would surely have stroked the ball into an open net. Alas this was not to be and two quick fire chances for the home team, one a thundering free kick and the other a curling shot which just cleared the bar brought the game to its conclusion.