FC stretch winning run to five games while Ducks bounced back from Vase exit with another league victory

editorial image

Aylesbury FC continued their brilliant recent run of results as they beat North Greenford United 1-0 on their travels on Saturday while Aylesbury United tamed the London Tigers 2-0.

FC have been in great form of late and were once again winners thanks to a solitary Jonathan Constant goal.

Meanwhile, United beat strugglers London Tigers 2-0 to stay second in the Spartan South Midlands Premier League.

Ben Butler and Ben Baines got the goals in either half for the Ducks who kept pace in the title chase with rivals Dunstable and Oxhey Jets who also both recorded victories.

Down in the road in Thame, Mark West’s United side progressed to the next round of the Oxford Senior Cup by defeating Rotherfield United 2-0.

Recently Thame supporters have become used to the team recording good results against sides at a similar level. Rotherfield however are bottom of the Senior Division of the Reading Football League, having lost all of their seven league fixtures this season. The visitors therefore should have had a comfortable win, but in this lacklustre game, Thame struggled to penetrate Rotherfield’s 10-man defence.

Several regulars where missing due to injury, whilst Nik Rhodes and Dan West were ‘on the bench’.

Thame had the bulk of possession with 70% of the game being played in their opponents half. They took the lead after 15 minutes when Luke Rickets hit a low cross from the left and, after a scramble, Niall Hodgkins, forced the ball over the line. There were few Thame chances in the remainder of the half, whilst goalkeeper Lee Farrow was mainly a spectator, not making a single save.

Thame’s second goal came seven minutes before the end when Ben Connelly made a run on the right, beat his marker, and hit a cross from the by-line which hit a defender’s chest to rebound into the goal. With three minutes remaining chairman Jake Collinge, who is sometimes on the away subs bench but is rarely used, came on. He soon saw action and had a goal-bound shot saved when he got on the end of a low pass from the tricky Connelly.

United are away at Holyport on Saturday.