FA CUP ROUND UP: Aylesbury FC thrashed again and Ducks held at Westfield

Aylesbury FC are out while Aylesbury United have a second chance to progress in a replay on Wednesday night
Aylesbury FC are out while Aylesbury United have a second chance to progress in a replay on Wednesday night
Have your say

Aylesbury FC made it 12 goals conceded in three games as they crashed out of the FA Cup with a miserable 5-1 home defeat to Shortwood on Saturday afternoon while Aylesbury United will need a replay against Westfield on Wednesday night if they are to advance.

Moles boss Craig Faulconbridge berated his side after their 4-0 drubbing at home to Dunstable Town last weekend. The former Premier League striker said it was time for his players to “step up or get out” as they looked to get back to winning ways against a fellow Division One side in Shortwood at Haywood Way.

So there may well be a few players heading for the FC exit door after another poor performance saw the club exit the FA Cup at the first round qualifying stage and miss out on £3,000 in the process.

Money will be the least of Faulconbridge’s worries, though, after his stark warning for improved attitudes and performance levels seemingly fell on deaf ears.

The game was well and truly over by half-time as FC trailed 4-0. Lee Grant grabbed a consolation in the second half but Shortwood went up the other end and restored the four-goal cushion in the next move of note to seal what the club’s own official Twitter feed described as a ‘thoroughly abject performance’.

Meanwhile, the 10 men of Aylesbury United were held to a 1-1 draw against supposedly inferior Combined Counties opposition when they travelled to Westfield in their own FA Cup first qualifying round match.

Simon Sheppard gave the hosts the lead on 13 minutes and were giving as good as they got until Jason Blackett equalised for the Ducks.

The Ducks, boosted by the return of talismanic striker Stacey Field, were on top for the majority of the second half but could not get the all-important second. And they were made to hold on for a replay when Richard Armstrong was dismissed five minutes from time.

The replay will take place on Wednesday night at Bell Close with £3,000 up for grabs to the winner.