Dinton need win to progress in Bucks Cup

Dinton's 2013 team
Dinton's 2013 team

Dinton travel to Stony Stratford in the last game of the group stages of the Bucks Cup today (Sunday) knowing they must win to progress in the competition.

The villagers grabbed their first win of the season with a narrow three-run victory against local rivals Bledlow Village in their second Bucks Cup fixture last weekend. But they must secure another victory if they want to continue through to the Bucks Cup knockout stages.

Last weekend captain Mike Sutliff won the toss on a blustery day and chose to bat first on a slightly two paced pitch, the innings didn’t get off to the best start.

James Shirley grabbed the first wicket with a brilliant low catch off his own bowling to remove Gough.

Mould then followed that by taking advantage of Sutliff’s indecision whether to play at the ball, edging the ball behind to the keeper.

Wilcox was then caught at mid-on and Hammond trapped lbw to reduce Dinton to 23-4. Dinton managed to find solace through Najam Ur Rehman and Faisal Ali who rebuilt the innings well through the harsh wind and rain, punishing anything loose from the Bledlow first and second change bowlers, putting on a valuable run a ball 75 partnership. But Rehman fell two short of his maiden 50 for Dinton.

That brought Burrows to the crease who looked positive from the start and with Ali took the score up to 118-5 before Ali was caught 31. Dinton continued to have productive partnerships at a good rate through Burrows, Smith and Brooker, all of whom scoring close to a run a ball.

But the return on Mould and Shirley slowed the progress of the Dinton batsmen and eventually were bowled out for 185.

After the interval the Dinton new ball was gifted to colt Jack Thorn and debutant Pete Baker, who managed to find some consistent swing and seam movement.

But ex hermit Adam Mould did not take long to get into his stride upon entering the crease, punishing anything short from Baker.

Brooker replaced Thorn who finished figures of 7-1-28-1.

Mould and White took the score up to 100-3 before the introduction of all-rounder Smith took two quick and crucial wickets, the first of Mould who was well caught by Thorn. The second caught by Hammond running back taking the catch over his shoulder to remove Broomfrigid for a duck.

Shirley with a quickfire 20 had Bledlow needing 20 runs but only three wickets remaining, the match looked set for a tight finish, but Gough and Ali had other ideas taking two more quick wickets.

Handy contributions down the order mixed with extras took the required runs into single figures. It came down to the reliable Smith who induced Hawkes into a rash cut shot and could only managed to pick out the safe hands of Burrows to see Dinton home by three runs and the skin of their teeth.