‘Villagers will up sticks if homes bid approved’

editorial image

THE chairman of Weston Turville Parish Council says he may be forced to quit the village if plans to build more than 3,000 homes linking it to Aylesbury are approved.

More than 200 people packed into a planning meeting last week as the council unanimously voted to oppose a bid to build in Hampden Fields.

Another public meeting is being held in Bedgrove tonight, Wednesday, with activists set to outline their opposition to the plans.

If given the go-ahead, the new housing estate, which also include 10ha of employment land, a doctors surgery, a care home and land for a park and ride, will link Weston Turville and Bedgrove.

After Thursday’s meeting, parish council chairman Hugh Gwilliams told the Herald: “I moved here in 1991, and I had no intention of moving out.

“But this planning application may force me to move, it’s as simple as that, and that’s how it will be for other people as well.

“There isn’t the work here, there isn’t the infrastructure, it really is absolutely crazy.

“The parish council is wholly against this application. We don’t want to be part of Aylesbury.”

Cliff Hide, who heads the Hampden Fields Action Group, said around 150 people had signed up in the past week.

Mr Hide said: “I genuinely have yet to meet anyone that supports this application.

“In their own consultation, 86 per cent of the respondents were against it.”

Tonight, Wednesday, a public meeting will be held at the Bedgrove Pavillion at 7.30pm.

It has been called by ward councillors Mark Winn, Jenny Bloom and Tom Hunter-Watts, all Conservative, and Mr Hide will be among the speakers.

The bid has been put forward by a consortium of developers, including Aylesbury College.

Last week critics complained they were not being given enough time to respond to a planning consultation.

Yesterday an Aylesbury Vale District Council spokesman said: “The council will accept letters of representation up until the date of determination of the application.”