Thieves who targeted underground cabling caused hundreds of homes in Aylesbury to be without internet or landline access for nearly two weeks.
Homes in the Tring Road and Bedgrove area were cut off but BT said today the vast majority should now be reconnected following a protracted repair operation which at one point had to be suspended for safety reasons.
The company said it had around 370 calls from residents alerting them to the fault.
Spokesman Paul Hayward said: “We have suffered malicious cuts and theft of underground cabling, in an apparent attempted theft which has been affecting some services in the area at the moment.
“Engineers were cleared to work on February 22 under traffic lights and have been onsite working to repair the damage and changing out the damaged sections of cabling.
“They had to break the work due to dangerous conditions in the manhole and gully suckers were used to clear that area.
“The cabling and reconnection works are now complete and the vast majority should now have services restored, however over the next few days we are carrying out tests and checks to ensure that this is the case.
“We would appeal to local residents to be vigilant and report any suspicious behaviour in or around street cabinets or manhole covers immediately.
“The theft of metal is a continuing problem in the UK, affecting many industry sectors.”
Speaking earlier this week Hulbert End resident Teresa Beale said: “My whole street is out and so is part of Ingram Avenue and a substantial part of Bedgrove and Tring Road.
“I understand from talking to my neighbours and other Bedgrove residents they too have had no BT landline or internet for nearly two weeks.”
“It is amazing how we rely on the internet service to run our lives.
“I think a lot of people are getting extremely wound up. What worries me is that there are a lot of old people that live on Bedgrove whose only contact with the outside world is via their BT line but also a lot of retired people communicate via the internet.”