Showstopper ... Boss speaks out about Thame Show

This year's Thame Show has been cancelled
This year's Thame Show has been cancelled

ORGANISERS of Thame Show have explained their reasons for cancelling the historic event.

In a statement from Martin Hector, chairman of the Thame and Oxfordshire County Agricultural Association, said the decision had been because last year’s show made a substantial loss and that the proposed date for this year’s event clashed with the opening of the London Olympics.

Mr Hector said: “Although many judged this year’s show to be a great success with a good turnout of exhibitors and improved showground layout, sadly we were substantially down on gate takings and income from traders.

“These factors combined with a poor economic climate and an increase in overheads, resulted in a substantial overall trading loss, compared to a small profit in 2010.

“Secondly, the proposed date of next year’s show conflicts with the opening of the London Olympics. I wouldn’t suggest there is any comparison between the two events but many people will be at home watching the Games on television.”

Mr Hector said he was aware the decision will cause disappointment but that if the event is to continue they will have to make sure the business plan is sound for the long-term future and the additional year will allow that.

The show chief also defended the change of date from September to July.

“The decision to move the date to July was made following the 2009 show, when, for the third year running, it made a loss.

“The perceived advantages of moving to a Saturday in July were to take advantage of the longer daylight hours, hopefully better weather, and to attract families who could not normally attend on a Thursday.”

> For more views turn to Letters on page 21.