Reports of Boris taking over Vale constituency rubbished

Boris Johnson
Boris Johnson
1
Have your say

Reports that John Bercow is planning to step down from politics, paving the way for Boris Johnson to take on his Buckingham constituency, have been rubbished.

The Mail on Sunday ran a story saying the Speaker was planning to resign in the middle of the next parliament, forcing a by-election.

The report said high level sources had revealed the London mayor was being identified as Mr Bercow’s ideal successor – and the constituency would select Mr Johnson ‘in about 10 seconds flat’.

But a statement from the Buckingham Conservative office said the story was pure speculation, adding: “John is an excellent Speaker and constituency MP. The timing of his resignation as Speaker is for him to decide.

“The association has not held discussions with John about when he intends to stand down as Speaker, nor with anyone who may apply. When a vacancy does occur then the association and its members will consider all applications on their merits.”

Mr Bercow’s office said Mr Bercow had not discussed it, on or off the record.

It added that Mr Bercow had previously stated that he will serve a maximum of nine years as Speaker and intends to contest the seat in the 2015 general election.”