Thousands of theatre lovers have enjoyed performances on their own doorsteps thanks to Buckinghamshire’s Theatre in the Villages programme.
The rural touring scheme – which is subsidised by local councils including Aylesbury Vale – encourages local promoters to stage professional theatre shows in communities across the county.
New figures show last season was a bumper one – with record-breaking attendances.
Around 2,750 tickets were sold for 43 village performances between September and December, compared to 1,740 tickets for 32 shows the year before – an increase of almost 60%.
The scheme enables communities to benefit directly from sales of refreshments and raffle tickets.
They also receive a small percentage of any profits from the shows.
The Incredible Dr Guttmann, an AVDC-commissioned play about the founder of the Paralympic Games, was one of the highlights of a season which also included comedy, cabaret, storytelling and magicians.
Councillor David Thompson, Cabinet Member for Leisure at AVDC said: “We’re delighted that the 2012 programme was so enthusiastically received by audiences.”
Rural communities interested in hosting an event in the 2013 programme should call 01296 585206 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- First episode of Ice Age Giants documentary proves a hit
- Women revel in Race for Life at Waddesdon Manor
- What a relief! Plans to build four runway international airport in Haddenham in 2030 officially scrapped
- Motorcyclist seriously injured in car crash near Tetsworth
- Chiltern Society urges government to have ‘courage’ over HS2
- Health boss promises improvements at Stoke Mandeville Hospital following report
- Monsoon to close Aylesbury store
- Village schools lead the way to take part in Scootathlon charity event
- ‘Putting patients at the heart of everything we do’: Vale GPs take on new commissioning role
- Murder, incest – the stories mum hid away
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Thame
Tuesday 21 May 2013
Temperature: 7 C to 15 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North
Temperature: 4 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North west