As the snow turns to ice across Bucks, all but one Buckinghamshire school re-opened its doors on Tuesday.
On Monday 166 schools were forced to close because of the weather, but on Tuesday only Aylesbury’s Pebble Brook special school remained closed.
Many drivers in the morning rush hour reported longer commutes as a result of increased traffic and pupils arriving late for lessons were told they would not be penalised.
Aylesbury’s Thomas Hickman School told students: “We are open at the normal time, but don’t rush and hurt yourselves - you won’t be marked late as long as you’re in by 9.30am.”
St Louis Catholic Primary School, in Harris Court, also extended its registration period, adding: “Roads on the estate are rarely gritted and can be dangerous. Parents please do not drive up the school drive as there is a risk of skidding and endangering pedestrians.”
The Mandeville School remained partially closed and plans to finish lessons early. A statement on the county council’s school information service read: “Despite the best endeavours by our premises team to clear all areas of the school heavy snow and overnight frost continues to make some areas quite hazardous – so extreme care is required.
“The school is therefore operating the following programme today to ensure that students can safely access their learning. Year 11 to arrive at 8.30am for their Science GCSE examinations. All other years to arrive at 10am and the school will then close at 2pm.”
Pebble Brook School, which remained closed, said: “The school is closed today due to the icy roads and subsequent problems with our taxi transport. The weather is forecast to improve today so school will reopen as normal on Wednesday.”
Across Aylesbury Vale temperatures are set to remain at around zero degrees on Tuesday. There is a chance of more light snowfall in the early hours of Wednesday, with temperatures plummeting to minus six overnight on Wednesday.
Further light snowfall is currently forecast for Friday night.
- First episode of Ice Age Giants documentary proves a hit
- Pair in 'barbaric' terror attack
- Rock legends Argent unite for one last time in aid of paralysed Aylesbury teenager
- Updated: Police seek key witness after motorcyclist seriously injured in car crash near Long Crendon
- Two injured as car rolls near Thame
- Health boss promises improvements at Stoke Mandeville Hospital following report
- What a relief! Plans to build four runway international airport in Haddenham in 2030 officially scrapped
- Plans for homes and park and ride at Weedon Hill rejected by district council
- Countess takes over as Bucks charity chairman
- Update: Missing man found
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Thame
Friday 24 May 2013
Temperature: 3 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 23 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 4 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 12 mph
Wind direction: North