A police officer at the centre of the ‘plebgate’ scandal that led to a senior politician’s resignation lives in Aylesbury, it has emerged this week.
Toby Rowland was the officer involved in the Downing Street melee which allegedly saw former Conservative chief whip Andrew Mitchell brand him and his colleague ‘plebs’ after refusing to let him ride his bike through the gates.
However, according to some national newspapers Mr Rowland now finds himself embroiled in a row over who said what following new revelations.
The Aylesbury man, who remains on duty, declined to discuss his role in the debacle and said he did not know anything about it.
He added that reporters needed to speak with Scotland Yard for an official response.
There is now an investigation taking place into whether the MP was the victim of a conspiracy involving officers who had been angered by Government cutbacks.
In the coming days Mr Rowland is expected to be questioned about his role in the scandal in September and alleged ‘discrepancies’ in the incident log.
Scotland Yard has so far refused to discuss the officer’s involvement in the row.
Prime Minister David Cameron is now coming under pressure to return Mr Mitchell to his role in cabinet.
- First episode of Ice Age Giants documentary proves a hit
- Pair in 'barbaric' terror attack
- Rock legends Argent unite for one last time in aid of paralysed Aylesbury teenager
- Two injured as car rolls near Thame
- What a relief! Plans to build four runway international airport in Haddenham in 2030 officially scrapped
- Health boss promises improvements at Stoke Mandeville Hospital following report
- Update: Missing man found
- Monsoon to close Aylesbury store
- Village schools lead the way to take part in Scootathlon charity event
- ‘Putting patients at the heart of everything we do’: Vale GPs take on new commissioning role
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Thame
Thursday 23 May 2013
Temperature: 3 C to 10 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North west
Temperature: 4 C to 11 C
Wind Speed: 22 mph
Wind direction: North